12 New Year’s resolutions in 2012 for PR pros
As PR pros, we set goals and create action plans for our clients all the time. Why not do the same for yourself?
Here’s your official guide to making 2012 your year as a PR pro:
- Build new media relationships. Try to have coffee or lunch with one new beat reporter each month, or at least every time you are on a trip. By the end of the year, you will have gained at least 12 great contacts.
- SEO. Learn how to optimize your content for search bots so it’s both engaging and highly visible.
- Stop eating lunch at your desk. Your brain and body will thank you for the break, and the social interaction with colleagues/friends/reporters has its benefits as well!
- Connect on Twitter. Twitter is a great tool for communicating with media. How many reporters are you currently following? Make a point to start following them and utilize Twitter more in the coming year.
- Join in. Become active in groups related to your clients and the PR industry.
- Declutter. Whether it’s your desk or email inbox, take time at least once a month to get organized.
- New subscriptions. Make sure you have all the tools you need, like a new AP Stylebook, and relevant online subscriptions, to help you stay up-to-date on all things happening. (Might I suggest subscribing to Digital Park, too?)
- Become an expert at something. Whether that is proofing and editing, graphic design or social media, take on the challenge to master a new area of public relations.
- Stop biting your nails. Yes, they will grow back, but deadlines will always continue to come in last minute. (Does that nail polish really taste THAT great anyway?) It’s all about stress and time management.
- Help others. Encourage a co-worker by helping them write a creative pitch or take on a new role. Or maybe have lunch with a new PR pro to evaluate their portfolios or give a few pointers. Helping others helps you master your craft.
- Recycle. Try to print less and recycle as much as possible. Start a recycling program in your firm if you don’t already have one.
- Drink more water. Coffee tastes good and is jet fuel for most PR pros, but try to switch out a couple of cups for water. It’s good for you!
What are your PR resolutions for the New Year? Feel free to share them in the comments!
Oh, and one last bonus tip: Don’t forget to have fun in 2012!